Reworking some old boards with surprising results.
Last summer whilst at the barn studio, I played around with oil bars. Big thick chubby sticks of solid oil colour that were cumbersome and either too soft or too hard. I used them by scraping off colour with a palette knife and applying it directly to the board.
It was what I called painting interludes, the little play paintings with colour and ideas that required little concentration or thought and I was quite pleased with them at the time.
After Christmas to get back into the swing after quite a break from painting, I looked at them again and had completely fallen out of love with them. They didn’t reflect the quality of the oilbar and looked contrived, so I mixed some traditional oils and reworked them.
What a refreshing start to the year!… new ideas, new approach and looser work. I’m thinking it might have been inspired by what was underneath, so it wasn’t time wasted and that this approach works well for me. It’s like the foundations or scaffolding to a controlled idea in which I then have the confidence to lay over something far more painterly.
I had trouble finding the reworked version of lightness and fullness as it had changed so radically. I hunted everywhere before I found a little glimpse of green that suggested it’s previous life.
So here they are, the before and afters. (left = before and right = after)